Betsy's Kindergarten Adventures
Click here to visit the Betsy’s Kindergarten Adventures website.
Kindergarten teacher and children’s author, Betsy M. Quinn created Betsy’s Kindergarten Adventures based on her own stories with her students. The series is directed by Academy Award-winning animator Fred Crippen.
The target audience is ages 2-6. This interactive workshop is linked to standards and a standards based curriculum guide or handouts will be given to workshop attendees.
- To ease the transition from the home life to the school life for children as they venture off into their years of formal education.
- Examine the questions, concerns, and challenges every child faces as they move into this new world.
- Create interest and excitement in the school experience.
- Present a positive and light-hearted account of the baffling unfamiliarity that they are about to embark upon.
- Delve into everything from the unanticipated pleasures to the awkward social and developmental issues navigated by school children during their weeks, months, and years in the school system.
The workshop will contain:
- Overview of the program and link to Common Core Standards
- Teacher resources such as DVDs, games, and appropriate use in the classroom
- Classroom management strategies
- Ideas to ease the transition from home or daycare to kindergarten
- Sample lesson plans for the episodes will be offered, including topics such as basic counting, shapes and patterns, citizenship, field trip safety
- Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math concepts (STEM)
- Articles and a list of teacher resource books to help run their kindergarten classroom, using technology such as television and internet to teach the state standards.
- Round Table Discussion with group idea sharing and interactive activities surrounding the PBS learning triangle will be utilized.
- Opportunities to learn about Betsy's Kindergarten Adventures Train the Trainer workshops, UNC-TV's Just For Kids Community Events such as Countdown to Kindergarten and Kick Off to Kindergarten, and Betsy Guest Star Meet and Greet Events
- An opportunity for teachers to build on each other's experiences, learn what works and hasn't worked for other teachers, and share their information with others.
These workshops are approved for 2 hours of CHC’s. Any teacher seeking CEU’s for this or any other ETI workshop must have it pre-approved by their district.
PBS Ready To Learn is supported by a cooperative agreement from the U. S. Department of Education, PR/Award Number R295A00002.