Return to Finding Fish
Discussion and Research Questions for Finding Fish
These discussion and research questions can be used with either the Finding Fish video segment on North Carolina Now and/or “Finding Fish in Lots of Water” article in the Winter 2008 issue of Coastwatch magazine.
- Predict how a food chain might be changed when a beach nourishment project is underway.
- Diagram a food web containing aquatic and terrestrial organisms near an inlet.
- Assess the importance of Sargassum to microscopic and macroscopic organisms that use it. Include impact of dissolved gases, temperature, nutrients, shading, and shelter.
- Imagine you are walking along a beach. What observations of physical and biological factors would indicate an improved opportunity for catching fish?
- Why do ecotones have greater species diversity?
- Define bathymetry. What role does it play in finding fish?
- Evaluate the statement: “An angler must be part geologist, biologist, meteorologist, and hydrologist.”
- Explain why rip current and currents present in flood and ebb tides improve the possibility of catching fish.
- What is a slough? What conditions in a slough are desirable for fish?
- Compare characteristics of the Gulf Stream and the Labrador Current.
- Diagram a marine food web north of Cape Hatteras and one south of Cape Hatteras. Compare and contrast the two food webs.
- Describe the shoaling behaviors of various fish species.
- What signs in nature indicate the presence of fish?
- How might commercial fishermen use sea surface temperature (SST) maps to locate prime fishing areas?
- Compare the fish-finding technologies used by charter boat captains today with what was available 10 years ago. 25 years ago. 50 years ago.
- Assess the following technological tools for their best use in locating fish: A) satellite ocean color maps, B) sonar, C) North Carolina coastal ocean observing system (NCCOOS), D) NOAA’s advanced very high resolution radiometer (AVHRR), E) NASA’s sea viewing wide field-of-view sensor (SeaWiFS)
- When might air spotter planes be the best tool for locating fish?
- Explain how artificial reefs and other hard structures encourage fish to gather in an area.
- Which fish species would be most affected by beach nourishment? Elaborate on the reasons for your choices.
- How do captains use the weed line?
- How do the various technologies contribute to a successful fishing trip?
- How do the various technologies allow fishermen to be more efficient?