Return to Contest Homepage
Click here to download official contest guidelines in English.
Click here to download official contest guidelines in Spanish.
UNC-TV is proud to present the PBS KIDS GO! Writers Contest. This competition encourages children in kindergarten through third grades to create their own original picture books.
If you are a U.S. student in kindergarten, 1st, 2nd & 3rd grade,
you can enter the PBS KIDS GO! Writers Contest!
The contest begins on Monday, January 14, 2013.
The contest deadline is Thursday, March 14, 2013.
Only one entry per person will be accepted. Only single author stories qualify (no co-authored stories). Stories can be fact or fiction, prose or poetry.
Eligibility & Entry Guidelines
- Entrants must be in kindergarten, first, second or third grade.
- Children of employees of PBS, PBS stations or their affiliates, sales representatives, subsidiaries or parent companies, advertising/sales promotion agencies, and judges are not eligible.
- To be eligible, an entrant must be a legal resident of the fifty (50) United States and D.C. (excluding Puerto Rico, USVI and American Samoa). Sponsor reserves the right to disqualify ineligible entries; such entries will not be returned.
- Only one entry per person will be accepted; all subsequent entries will be disqualified.
- Only single author stories qualify (no co-authored stories).
- Stories can be fact or fiction, and prose or poetry.
- Any failure to adhere to these Contest Rules may result in disqualification from the contest.
- No purchase is necessary.
- Kindergarten and first grade stories must have a minimum of 50 words and a maximum of 200 words.
- Second and third grade stories must have a minimum of 100 words and a maximum of 350 words.
- The word count includes “a,” “an,” and “the,” but not the words on non-story pages such as the title page or those that enhance the illustrations.
- Text must be printed or written legibly or typed.
- Children who cannot write may dictate their story to be printed, written legibly or typed.
- Text may be integrated into the illustration pages or on separate pages.
- Non-English text must be translated on the same page and the translated text (English text) must adhere to word count.
- Invented spelling is accepted.
Format & Illustrations
- Stories must have at least 5 original, clear and colorful illustrations.
- Original art can include drawings, collages, and 3-D created by the author or photographs taken by the author.
- Stories submitted by mail must be created on one side of the paper and numbered on the back of each page.
Official Entry Form (Click here to download the Entry Form in Spanish)
- Each entry must include the official PBS KIDS GO! Writers Contest Entry Form, with the required signature of a parent/guardian (and, if appropriate, the optional signature of the sponsoring teacher), confirming that the story and art are original, and granting certain rights to the entry materials.
- The entry form must be complete and legible.
And, because our goal is to encourage and reward effort, every child is recognized for their participation with a Certificate of Achievement.